Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Smell the Roses

The Barns are in the double digits folks, let the celebration ensue!


gif via Mashable

Ok so maybe not; anyways, moving along.......

Hi Hive! So this past weekend Mr. Farmer and I celebrated our anniversary in the city where it all began, Minneapolis. It’s a little over a three hour drive for us so what do we do to help pass the time? We normally pick up a magazine and I read the articles out loud as Mr. Farmer drives. It makes for a quick car ride and it opens the door for some pretty interesting conversations, not to mention amazing memories. (I once read a Cosmo and Mr. Farmer had tears coming down his eyes he was laughing so hard. Good times!)

However before we stopped to fill up and grab said magazine, I saw a post on Facebook that really made me stop and smile to myself. Mr. Farmer seeing that I was looking at my phone smiling inquired as to what I was looking at and I responded, “How did we get here?” Mr. Farmer being the funny guy he is responded with, “I took a left on Hwy 14 and merged from the two lane into the one lane, that’s how.”

 
Not exactly what I meant but thanks Mr. Farmer! I was referring to how we got to the place where we knew we wanted to be married to each other and take the next step. He smiled and wanted to know what some of the other people on this particular post were saying. The top three answers in no particular order were:

1. My partner makes me a better person.

2. We respect each other.

3. The thought of that person not in their life is devastating.

 We happen to agree with all of these and added a few of our own. Rather than grab a magazine we spent our car ride talking about all the reasons we knew we wanted to be married. It really got us remembering all the things we love about each other and our relationship. How did we get here? That’s how we spent our anniversary weekend. Taking a hiatus from wedding planning and remembering why we wanted to get married in the first place. We agreed not to bring up the wedding all weekend and it was so refreshing you guys!

I think every bride gets to a point in their planning where they throw up their hands and just toss the plans to the back burner. I obviously enjoy planning our wedding but sometimes taking a step back and remembering the whole reason why you are doing it is such a great reminder and the perfect planning pick me up (trust me). At the end of the day you will be married and it will be fabulous even if planning it is a pain in the ass, frustrating and sometimes soul sucking.

 Take a break and don’t feel one ounce of guilt that your to-do list is a mile long and you have check marks that need checking. Stop and smell the roses, you might be surprised to see just how enlightened you feel when you return to thinking about the wedding. The plans will still be there tomorrow and the day after, this I can promise you. It’s ok to take a break every once in a while, it might be something you didn't even know you needed. I didn't know I needed a break until I took one.

How did you get here? Did anyone else take a break from wedding planning to smell the roses?

No comments:

Post a Comment