Sunday, June 1, 2014

Trials and Tribulations

If you learn anything from this long post may it be this, have a freaking hair and make-up trial!

Now, with that out of the way we can move on. I mentioned before that I was going to do my hair and make-up trial the morning of my bridal shower. So many of you lovely peeps commented on how nice I looked, and I sincerely thank you for it from the bottom of my heart. Why? Because I hated how I looked and was incredibly uncomfortable.

Ok, ok, I shouldn't say I hated how I looked but it was a series of unfortunate events that lead to an unhappy  and uncomfortable Miss Barn. Let's go all the way back to the beginning shall we?

I had my hair stylist for the wedding, Jez, drive to me in Wausau, about an hour and forty-five minute drive away. Because I am not going to actually be in Eau Claire until the wedding, this was one of the only times we could do my trial and she agreed to come to me. I paid her a travel fee and set up a trial for myself, MOH Fluff and my mother. I am sure many of you are scratching your heads asking why do they need a trial, and I will tell you why.

MOH Fluff has had the same hairstylist for about 10 years and has the most impossible hair to curl. I knew that anyone new dealing with her hair would need to work with it at least once in order to style it correctly for the wedding. She's my best friend and I want her to be comfortable and I know her hair is one of those things that's important to her, so naturally it's important to me (not to mention it was good to chit chat with her and she brought me Starbucks, Fluff = rock star).

Mama Barn needed a trial because we have to add extensions and we needed to try them out. Mama Barn has never had extensions before. She has insanely thin hair and in order to achieve the style she wants for the wedding we had to "add hair" so Jez needed time to work with her and the extensions.

She showed up at 9am sharp and got to work on MOH Fluff first with Mama Barn second, as they needed to leave because of the shower. However, there's one little thing I forgot to figure in there. The set-up time.  It took Jez about 30 minutes or so to unpack everything, get her tools ready, and heat up all the curling irons for a proper work station. Because of this, we starting running behind and when I say behind I mean REALLY behind. I scheduled 4.5 hours for all three of us to get our hair done and 2 make-up applications for Mama Barn and myself. By the time it was my turn, we had 30 minutes before I had to leave.

Bees, I was 30 minutes late to my own shower because of it. *cringe*

Which ultimately meant that Jez literally had to throw my hair up into a quick style and slap some make-up on me so that I could get out the door. The style she did was not at all what I pictured, or what she wanted to do. The make-up was quick and I finished doing it in the parking lot of the shower location (although I loved my eyes that she did so that was at least one thing that went right).

 She felt just as bad as I did and she gave me a discount on the services provided because we were so far behind. She is also discounting some of the services for the wedding as well. Jez was so sweet to do that and I am extremely grateful she went to those lengths to help make up for it. It was a pretty big disappointment not just for her (she has never ran over before in her 11 year career) but for me too. I didn't get a single picture of my make-up or a close up of my hair and I can tell you this, I was really looking forward to it.

The only photos I have to show off my not wedding day do:

The best shot of my make-up:



There is a silver lining though and that is we are going to do a re-do. I have to pass through Eau Claire on the way to my bachlorette party so I am going to stop and have another hair and make-up trial. Jez is such a sweetheart and we got along so well that I trust she will be able to give me what I want, especially since she has already worked with my hair before (even if it was a rush job).

Bees, I cannot recommend getting a trial enough. Had I NOT had this experience we could have run into a big issue the day of the wedding. Mama Barn also had a few changes that needed to be done and had we not done the trial it could have turned into a bigger disappointment on the actual wedding day.

Did anyone else have a less than impressive hair and make-up trial? How did you remedy the situation?

No comments:

Post a Comment